Certain works inside and/or outside a residence require a permit issued by the Urban Planning Department. It is therefore highly recommended to contact this department before beginning any work.
You must obtain a permit for the following (non-exhaustive) list of items:
- Swimming pools
- Construction of a new balcony
- Construction/re-doing of a driveway
- Renovations/general modifications
- New windows
- New façade
The application for these permits should be submitted approximately one week before the work is to start. Once the work is started, it must be completed within three months—however, if it is not completed within three months, you can apply for a new permit.
If you are unsure whether you need a permit, call the Urban Planning Department at 514-485-6800. You can also visit us weekdays from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at Côte Saint-Luc City Hall.
How to receive a construction permit
Here are the steps required to receive a building permit for a new construction of extension:
- Submit to Urban Planning a perspective and/or elevation of the proposed dwelling and a site plan
- The Planning Advisory Committee will review the request and recommend approval or rejection to City Council
- If City Council approves, you must submit to Urban Planning three copies of complete plans, signed and stamped by an architect, engineer, or any person allowed to do so by law
- A construction permit will be issued
For all other requests, such as an installation of a fence or repaving of a driveway, the deposit of certain documents will be necessary. Call Urban Planning to learn which ones are necessary and the costs of different permits.
You can request a copy of your house plans from the Urban Planning Division. However, only the owner can obtain a copy of the plans, provided that the architect who drew-up the plans authorizes the city to transmit them to the owner. The city charges a minimum fee.
Time of day restrictions
You may not carry out any works in connection with the construction, re-construction, alteration or repairing of any building or structure, at any place in the city, between 9 pm and 9 am on Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays, or between 9 pm and 7 am on all other days, unless you have permission from the city granted under special circumstances.
- Zoning by-law 2217 (searchable PDF, 523KB)
Table of uses and norms
- Low density residential (RU) (PDF, 316KB)
- Medium density residential (RB) (PDF, 245KB)
- High density residential (RM) (PDF, 294KB)
- Mixed use (HM) (PDF, 270KB)
- Commercial dominance (CD, CR, CA, CE, CC, IN) (PDF, 256KB)
- Construction by-law 2088 (searchable PDF, 584KB)
The bylaws on this section of the website are unofficial consolidated versions. For official versions please consult the Urban Planning department or City Archives. In the event of a contradiction between the official and unofficial versions, the former will prevail.
Urban Planning Department
5801 Cavendish Blvd.
Côte Saint-Luc, Quebec
Tel.: 514-485-6800, ext. 1601
Hours of operation:
Monday to Friday,
8:30am to 4:30pm