New art exhibit at the public library in Côte Saint-Luc features 101-year-old Côte Saint-Luc resident

Côte Saint-Luc, January 18, 2007 – The City of Côte Saint-Luc presents “Maxwell M. Kalman: A Centennial Retrospective”, photographs by Maxwell M. Kalman, from January 13 to May 30, 2007 at the Eleanor London Côte Saint-Luc Public Library (5851 Cavendish Blvd.).

The exhibit focuses on a selection of about 18 buildings and projects designed or developed by Kalman. Collectively they reflect the diversity and the nature of Kalman’s practice and its evolution over three decades.
 
The exhibit, curated by Susan Bronson of McGill University, features 30 photographs, with short descriptive texts, supplemented by a few drawings. The exhibit will close on 30 May to coincide with Kalman’s 101st birthday.

The exhibitions are on view daily between 10am and 10pm. Call 514-485-6900 for details.

“Maxwell M. Kalman is a resident of Côte Saint-Luc and we are excited to be able to display photographs of his architectural projects,” Mayor Anthony Housefather said. “I’m happy we could help show residents some of his work.”

Maxwell M. Kalman (born in Montreal in 1906) was trained in architecture at Columbia University and McGill University, from which he graduated in 1932. He was in sole private practice in Montreal from the 1930s until around 1960.

His designs reflect well the styles and methods of the day. His pre-war work was mostly residential, including brick neo-Georgian apartment buildings, duplexes, and single-family period houses. His non-residential work was more progressive in design, including both commercial work (e.g. stores for Woolworth's) and institutional work (e.g. the Workers' Circle at Mile End).

After the War he became more involved in commercial buildings and in larger-scaled development. His Film Exchange at 1200 St. Alexandre St. reflected the International Style. He was the architect of Norgate (City of St. Laurent), a large residential complex for returning veterans, which included Canada's first shopping centre (1949). In the late 1950s he was a partner in development, and consulting architect, for The Forty-Three Hundred (4300 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W.), a pioneer in large, luxury apartments. He was also a partner and a consulting architect for the innovative Town of Lorraine on Rivière-des-Prairies.

-30-


For more information, contact: Mona Turner, 514-485-6926, mturner@cote-saint-luc.qc.ca

Share this